Friday, September 2, 2011

Roasted Veggie Pasta Sauce

So what do you do when it seems like you have unending amount of this stuff?
You cut it all up, drizzle it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and give it a good sprinkling of salt and pepper.
2 pans worth, because when you're washing and chopping lots of veggies anyway, you might as well make as much as you can in one shot.

    Put the pans on a hot grill, cover and and cook until it looks like this:
It usually takes about 45 minutes for me.  The goal is for the veggies to be soft and juicy.
Puree with a stick blender, or regular blender or food processor, then freeze into single meal portions.


I would love to claim this recipe as my own creation, but I can't.  I found it HERE last year and fell in love. I tweaked it slightly to fit my cooking style, but it's pretty much the same delicious recipe.

Roast Veggie Pasta Sauce
Tomatoes, summer squash (any kind, I used patty pan, zucchini and summer squash) and onions, cut into chunks.
1/2 head of garlic, peeled and large cloves cut in half
Fresh basil, torn
A good drizzling each of Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Roast in the oven at 400 deg. or on the grill for 40 min. to an hour.
Puree, freeze and eat on pasta all winter.

7 comments:

Sparklee said...

Oh, wow! That looks so good! We have lots of vegetables from our CSA that we need to use--I'm going to try this over the weekend!

Riot Kitty said...

Nom! I made tomato basil sauce with the few tomatoes that have ripened so far, and it was delicious.

Wild Child said...

Oh, man, I am so doing this! I'll have to see what the CSA brings this week. We just had all our tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and peppers in gazpacho. It was sooo good, but I forgot that with the onions and garlic raw, there's a lot of garlic breath the next day.

Shady Lady said...

OMG! I love this!! What a fabulous idea!! Looks like I've got some work to do...

sheila said...

Oh gosh! It looks like I could even do this!

verdemama said...

Ok, my mouth is watering and this recipe is a must-try. thanks

Jenni said...

Oh my that sounds good. You're sending me a jar, right?