Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Garden Club

FINALLY, after waiting all day for Blogger to fix whatever was preventing me and other bloggers from accessing and updating our blogs, I now have my garden update ready. Seems like I've spent way too much time lately trying to troubleshoot Internet issues... On with the Garden!


Everything in the garden is growing well, including the weeds! I weeded once already but with the size of this year's garden, I'm thinking that the weeding will be constant.

Most of the seeds I planted directly into the garden have come up. Everything but the carrots and the Lima beans. I have never grown Limas before but thought I would give them a try, I may have to replant those if they don't come up in the next week. Anybody grow Limas?

The sunflower/pole bean experiment is off to a great start!
The summer squash and zucchinis are already flowering!

The giant pumpkins are already growing huge! Not sure if I'll be able to keep them all once they start crawling and tangling themselves into the other crops. I planted 4 thinking there would be one or two that didn't make it but so far so good!

This is one of the heirloom tomato varieties that I started from seed and check it out, there are already little tomatoes on the plants. I hope that also means that these plants will mature early as well!

The Brussels sprouts (18 plants), broccoli (17 plants) and cauliflower (6 plants) have all doubled in size since we planted them 2 weeks ago.

Pepper plants too although I do need to get out there and start pinching off some of the lower leaves to focus the plant's energy on making peppers.

Peas...Raspberry bushes...

And of course more strawberries!
We've been fortunate to be able to pick a bowl full almost every day.

Last week, commenter Nick asked about the push cultivator we use. He also asked where we bought it, which I found downright laughable. We found this beauty in the garage or basement or attic, (at this point I can't remember) of one of the foreclosed houses we bought, fixed up, lived in and sold, back when investing in housing was a good idea. When the gardener initially showed it to me (along with 3 truck loads of miscellaneous junk and garbage for the dump) 10 years ago at that first wreck of a house we bought, I had to ask him what it was. I'm pretty sure he had to tinker with it a little to get it working properly but as long as we keep it oiled up and make sure all of the bolts are tight, it works great at cultivating the garden.

The wheel on the front spins as you push it and the tines in the back dig into the dirt to break it up. Perfect for getting in small spaces or if you are like me and a little leery about using gas powered rototillers in the growing garden.

We also have this little gem that we bought last year and we have already got our money's worth out of it. The Garden Claw (gold) works great for weeding in the flower beds and working up the soil and weeding around the fruit trees.


Now for all you gardeners out there who wish to participate, either leave a comment on what's growing in your yard, or post a Monday Garden Club update on your blog. Don't forget to drop your link in the comments and I'll add it to this post.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

There is something poetic about that lost shot. Two garden implements just waiting patiently in the sun ;)

I'm glad you didn't give up today. Blogger better be working on something really cool!

Riot Kitty said...

Strawberries! YUM!

sheila said...

Wow! Lookin GREAT! So we're supposed to pinch off the lower pepper plant leaves? See! I learn something new with this meme. I will do that today. Thanks for the tip!

Out in Them Sticks said...

I learn something new on every garden post! I didn't know I should be pinching off the bottom leaves of the pepper plants. I guess I have a new chore today.

I appreciate the cauliflower tips too! I tied the leaves closed yesterday on the ones that were open. :)

Thanks Ali!

Out in Them Sticks said...

Oh, and I'm drooling over your strawberries!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Yum strawberries.Thanks for the tip on pinching the leaves on the pepper plants. Didn't know that. We have had bad luck with pepper plants. Maybe I'll try them again.

Ally said...

new follower here, saw you over at riot kitty's blog...

i can't even begin to tell you how much i'd love to pick my own strawberries. those look amazing, and what a little cutie! lovin' the blue nail polish :)



FourthGradeNothing.com

Ecocheapo said...

Hi there. Your blog is terrific! I found my way over here a few weeks ago from Easy Eco To Go. I am growing lima beans for the first time this ear and so far they are doing quite well. They are about 8-10 inches tall right now with huge leaves.
I am conpletely envious of your strawberries! We have a berry bed that is 3 years old and the strawberries and so tiny. Do you fertilize them?

Unknown said...

Wowsers! Everything already is so impressive!!

Thanks for the peppers tip and I am going to plant pole beans around my sunflowers. Have you heard of this project? http://www.greatsunflower.org/

It is something your girls might like and you can buy the seeds everywhere!

Julia said...

Wow, that's a lot of strawberries every day! I think we've had a bowlful total! ;)

Good to know about the pepper leaves. And I can't wait til my tomatoes start growing (and neither can my grandma)!

Susie said...

What part of Wisconsin is this. I am in Brookfield outside of Milwaukee:-) Your garden looks great!!

Aliceson said...

We're in rural Sheboygan county only about 2 miles from the lake. About an hour from Brookfield...

Jami@ An Oregon Cottage said...

Hey, Aliceson- thanks for visiting my blog! Your garden is coming along nicely and I love that old cultivator. I'm a no-till girl, but that thing could make me change my mind. :-) Love to see you at the Tuesday Garden Party, and I'll be sure to check back on Mondays.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. i will try to participate next week in your gardening post. I'm so sorry about your dog, my sister has a saint bernard and they are so lovable. It is so hard to say good-bye, we have done it.