Monday, October 27, 2008

Why Does My House Smell Like A Fart?

Oh, that's why.

We pillaged the garden one last time before the frost destroys even the hardiest vegetables. Now the big question is, What the hell am I going to do with 24 stalks of Brussel Sprouts? I pawned a few off on some unsuspecting family members yesterday, but that still leaves me with a pile in a laundry basket stinking up the back porch. I may pickle some, but we don't make mixed drinks and I already canned way too much relish type stuff over the summer, and really are pickled brussel sprouts any good? I don't know. Maybe I'll just do the standard Blanch and freeze and we'll eat them all winter. My kids actually like them. Well, that's not entirely true, they'll eat pretty much anything if it's covered in cheese.

The real question should be, Why do I have an over abundance of the stinky, stalky vegetable? Well, I bought 2- 6 packs of starter plants from the garden center this spring, because last year just 6 wasn't quite enough. Each plant was actually 2 plants stuck together and I pulled them apart so that I would only have 12 plants not 24. That would have been a somewhat reasonable amount for us, but that was not to be. My Mom happened to be here the weekend of planting and couldn't let me throw perfectly good plants on to the compost pile, so she gathered the discards and planted them alongside the 12 I planted. So now I have all these extra sprouts and not a clue what to do with them.

How hated would I be if I gave them out for trick-or-treat? Guaranteed egging?

1 comment:

April said...

you are too funny. definitely an egging for handing out brussel sprouts. if you're LUCKY!!! my mom used to smother them in cheese too. i keep telling hubs they're good that way, but he doesn't buy it.