Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday Garden Club

Get your gardening gloves and knee pads ready. It's time for another installment of Monday Garden Club.


Since last week's post, the weeds have started to take over my garden. I spent all week with my ass in the air (on my hands and knees) pulling weeds in the front garden.

Who in the heck thought it was a good idea to make handheld weeders green? (The guy who wants to sell another one, says my husband) I lost that thing more times than I could count during my weeding. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to spray paint it bright orange!

I made these "hair balls" (Binny's too small tights cut apart and stuffed with dog hair) in hopes that Oliver's stink will keep away the bunnies and other little pests.

Over the weekend the Gardener and I decided to tackle the rear garden with the rototiller. About half-way down the first row the gardener noticed that the rototiller didn't sound quite right. Kind of a metal on metal screeching/engine knock noise. He quick turned off the tiller, opened the oil plug and sure as shit, it was bone freaking dry, actually smoking out of the hole. He ran up to the shed to get some oil, but the damage was done. We're not sure where all the oil went. There was no puddle on the shed floor. It always smoked a little, but enough to seize up and die? I guess we'll never know why it gave up the ghost. Luckily we have a back-up. A self powered back-up tiller, but it really works quite well considering I was not the one pushing it through the weeds and hard, dry ground. So much for 4 wheel drive gardening.


He did a nice job though. My zucchinis are starting to grow...
and the spinach is delicious.
One of my favorite ways to make spinach aside from my favorite salad is to saute it with garlic (I bought a bag of garlic tops at the farmer's market last week and chopped those up) and add in a tablespoon of sour cream right at the end along with salt and pepper of course. Yumm! Even my kids like it!

Now for all you gardeners out there who wish to participate, either leave a comment on what's growing in your yard, or post a Monday Garden Club update on your blog. Don't forget to drop your link in the comments, I'll add you to this post.


Participating Bloggers

12 comments:

Sidhe said...

That spinach looks fantastic! We don't have any growing this year (well, it doesn't do so hot up here but I'm thinking I might try to grow some in the greenhouse one of these days!). Great rototilling job!

Out in Them Sticks said...

We just harvested our first zuck yesterday! Our yellow squash isn't doing as well. The first couple seemed to rot out before they got big. I'm blaming all the rain. Luckily, things have changed. We grew spinach but it got to hot too quickly, so it died! I LOVE your garden posts!!!!!

Riot Kitty said...

Can I mail those dog hair balls to a certain someone?

Aliceson said...

RK, Not sure if the post office would deliver such a gift, but these could definitely be the equivalent to a burning bag of shit on the doorstep.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Let me know if the hair bags work. My in laws have wild life issues. Your garden looks great as always.

2 Brits, 2 Yanks, 2 Dogs said...

I love the hair balls

LL Cool Joe said...

I want a Guinness too! Is that your husband's reward for working so hard in the garden?

Tami said...

Your garden is so big! How do you manage to get it all done??? I have a friend who owns a garden center. I was so proud when he said he never saw a garden so clean as mine. :-)))))

Aliceson said...

Joe, as a matter of fact, that was his reward. He loves Guinness!

Tami, I do most of the weeding in the in the morning before the girls wake or when the kids are playing outside. One of the perks of being a SAHM. Oh and think of all the time we'll be saving not having to shop in the produce section of the grocery store!

Savvy-Motherhood said...

I am still laughing at your comment that was so funny.

Debbie said...

Beautiful garden. I will NOT post a photo of ours:)

sheila said...

Very, very nice! I wonder if cuc's grow in the same way as zuchinis...then I'd know what I'm looking for! lol.

Nice, very nice garden. I think I'll make mine bigger next year. And I only ended up with ONE broccoli plant! ughhhh! lol. And a frickin June bug ate it! double ughhh