Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Garden Club

The whole Monday part of Monday Garden Club is kicking my ass. I generally don't blog on the weekends so by Monday morning I tend to have something else blog-worthy and I blow off the garden. Such was the case yesterday with the teeth brushing photos.

Oh and I've been busy trying to eradicate some pesky fruit flies. With all of the ripe and ripening fruit and vegetables around, my kitchen has become a fruit fly hangout. I set out some traps and learned that fruit flies love a glass of white wine as much as I do, except I put a little dish soap in theirs. Does the trick but I still have quite a few to get rid of.

So, Monday Garden Club, late but not forgotten.


Many of the veggies are done for the season but the broccoli and beans are still going strong. I picked a meal's worth of broccoli again yesterday and an ice cream bucket full of green beans for what seems like the millionth time. I have been blanching and freezing as much of the homegrown as I have room for. It will be so nice not to have to buy much of that this winter.

The tomatoes are still going crazy. I gave away an entire grocery bag full of assorted tomatoes on Sunday and another bag yesterday and still probably would have enough to make a lifetime supply of ketchup.
The cantaloupe are ripe and delicious. I make the girls sit outside on the porch to eat them because they are so juicy. By the time they are finished the juice is dripping off their elbows.

Same goes for the peaches we picked at my in-laws'. Messy but delicious.

I canned peaches again yesterday which now puts me up to 12 pints, and 7 quarts of peach halves. I still have about 10 pounds of peaches to use up yet. Maybe jam... unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Now for all you gardeners out there who wish to participate, either leave a comment on what's growing in your yard, or post a Monday Garden Club update on your blog. Don't forget to drop your link in the comments, I'll add you to this post.

7 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow as always I'm impressed with both the photos and the food you grow!

I also noticed how clean your stainless steel pot looks!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Your garden is so pretty. I'm jealous of all the food you grow. I'm definitely expanding my garden next year.

Out in Them Sticks said...

I learned a hell of a lot this year. I hope my garden is half as productive as yours next year! :)

Riot Kitty said...

As always, yum! (I'm not saying that about the picture with a foot in it, you know.)

Sidhe said...

Fantastic garden this summer! We are not having the best of luck out here, my German Stripes are rotting on the vine and it looks like we may not get the field corn we hoped for and need to get rid of almost all of the pigs because of it. I'll miss out on all the gardening next year so I'll need you to do the garden club again just so I can live vicariously with yours.

Debbie said...

My garden is dead and gone. And horrible looking:(

sheila said...

Very nice! I didn't have anything this week except for a couple 1/2 rotted green peppers that I left on too long or something. Ughhh. Drat! lol