Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday Garden Club


It was finally a beautiful weekend here! There were even big puffy clouds floating around in the sky. A downright rarity around here with the crazy winds we get. Needless to say, we tried to spend as much time outside as possible and of course my camera was in my hand as often as I could set down the shovel and garden claw. It's also dandelion season...
Just don't mistake us as Packer fans.
All of the plants are still hanging out in the greenhouse. Too early to plant most things outside yet. As of last Thursday morning (before this warm weather arrived) we were still getting a frost every night outside. As much as I would like to get started planting in the garden, and there are a few seeds that can be started this early (carrots, peas); I don't like to rush it.
Everything is now out of the basement and wedged in to the greenhouse. It's a tight fit, but it's all in there.
I stopped at one of my favorite greenhouses the other day just to check out their selection and I couldn't believe how many people were there buying all of their annual flowers and tomato plants. They will no doubt be back next week when the stuff they bought gets left outside on a cold night and shrivels up. I couldn't help myself and bought a parsley plant and a pot full of tiny leek plants, 2 things I didn't start myself. When I brought them home, I popped them in the greenhouse...
Oh and some asshole bird shit all over one side of my greenhouse and the entire front end of my car. The Gardener says I should get out the BB gun and start taking them out...

The peach tree we moved a few weeks ago is doing very well and is budding like crazy. We'll remove most of the blossoms this year to give the tree a chance to properly root itself before being forced to produce lots of fruit.
I went through my raspberry patch over the weekend and pulled all of the weeds and thinned out the plants. I dug up about 30 little raspberry plants (mix of red and gold) and offered them to everyone I came across over the weekend. I even ditched one at a friend's house when she wasn't home. I still have a few left if anyone wants one. Come and get 'em!
My next project will be weeding the asparagus. The grass and dandelions are definitely crowding them so I need to get on this soon.The rhubarb is now growing tall and full, if anyone wants any please come and get some. We have lots!

Now for all you gardeners out there who wish to participate, either leave a comment on what's growing in your yard, or post a Monday Garden Club update on your blog. Don't forget to drop your link in the comments and I'll add it to this post.

Participating Bloggers:
Out In Them Sticks

8 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Just looking at those top photos makes me wanna sneeze!

My weeds are growing well! :D

Thanks to your advice my new plants are still alive as well.

You cracked me up about the bird shitting on your greenhouse. That's a lot of shit for one bird! Sure it isn't a family of crapping birds? :D

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I think dandelions are so pretty.

Jenni said...

Everything looks fantastic, but I think you are a little far for me to go for free seedlings and fresh produce.

Shady Lady said...

Ooh! Look at all those dandelions! The old me would have looked at them and been overwhelmed. The new me looks that them and says...ooh! dandelion jelly, dandelion syrup...hmmm, what else can I make? ;)

Out in Them Sticks said...

Everything looks so good Ali!! You are right to be cautious. I really pushed the envelop this year. We had another frost warning last week so I had to run out and cover everything again. It didn't frost anyway. Then yesterday it was near 90. Such is Spring!!

BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!!!

sheila said...

That's a buttload of dandelions !!! OMG! Makes me eyes itch, lol.

How big is your garden anyhow?

Riot Kitty said...

Great pics, especially the peach tree. Send that great weather over here, will you?

Jan said...

Oh, my! And I thought we were battling the dandelions...

And that pic of the rhubarb made my mouth start to water.