Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Garden Club

Am I actually going to post my garden update before noon? Seems so! I have noticed that the other bloggers who participate have their garden posts up first thing in the morning. Way to make me look bad ladies. Although it is kind of nice to be able to add their links right away so all of my readers can catch up on their gardens too. Anyhow, the Gardener was off to work this morning and instead of going back to bed when he left the house at 5, I read some blogs waited for the sun to come up and headed outside to get this weeks photos.
Below is the new flower bed that will hopefully grow tall enough to hide the septic tanks. A friend of mine was eliminating a flower bed earlier this spring and gave me all of these wonderful perennials. So far everything survived and is growing very well. I still need to get some mulch around the plants but it's not a huge priority right now.
The apple trees are blooming...
Along with the flowering crab apple tree.

Over the weekend, the Gardener brought out the ATV with the spring tooth on the back to work up the garden yet again in preparation for planting. The dirt was still a bit wet from all of the rain we had earlier in the week so it didn't break up as well as he had hoped but we were able to work in the finished veggie scrap (and fruits and egg shells and coffee grounds) compost along with a few bales of peat moss (to add a little acidity to the soil and also to help break up some of the clay) and several bags of composted manure to the new section of the garden.
The weather this week should be dry so hopefully we can finish getting it ready for planting and then PLANT the veggies (and flowers) that are still waiting in the greenhouse.

That's it for me today. Next week this time I hope to have the garden planted!

Now for all you gardeners out there who wish to participate, either leave a comment on what's growing in your yard, or post a Monday Garden Club update on your blog. Don't forget to drop your link in the comments and I'll add it to this post.
Participating Bloggers:

8 comments:

sheila said...

Glad to see your post up on Monday, LOL....I crack myself up! ha ha

My Lord, I thought I had a lot of grass to cut! Geeeez!!!!

Your stuff looks wonderful! Our hasta's are huge like yours. In fact, we just dug one of those out and split it into 8 plants! lol.

Out in Them Sticks said...

It's almost time to plant!! How exciting! Your seedlings look so healthy. I'm so jealous. I'll need to get the second batch of broccoli growing inside in June so I'm taking your tips and going to see if we can't get something set up in the crawlspace under the house. June is almost here, can you believe it?! Sheesh.

holy moly, how many tomatoes do you have?!

THANKS as always for the garden tips!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Your yard looks great. I really need to tend to mine.

Jan said...

We spent all weekend planting - dead nettle, hostas, SIX flats of impatiens, peppers, herbs, tomatoes, a couple of lilies and other stuff that I'm sure Beloved would remember, since he's the one that actually did the digging: "I was on me knees ALL weekend and it wasn't even any FUN!"

Julia said...

Wow that's alot of space! My boys would be so jealous of your apple trees, they really want to plant some here but we rent so that's no going to happen. We had cherry trees at our old house and the boys still talk about them. i think next year I may plant some up on my grandparents property.

Here's my garden post for the week: http://www.easyecotogo.com/2010/05/gotta-love-gardening.html

Thanks for the links!

LL Cool Joe said...

That flower bed looks so good, I love it. There's a real nice balance of colour, size and shapes. :)

Riot Kitty said...

Very nice - especially the tulips.

Anonymous said...

It's looking great!! I love the flowering trees. My garden is doing AWESOME and everything is getting so tall, but I didn't have a chance to photograph any of it this weekend. It was an insanely busy weekend and no time was spent in the yard. Thankfully we had just enough rain that I didn't need to water the garden at all :-) Pictures to come later this week, but in the meantime, you can take my word that it's doing well. Huge accomplishment for me since I don't do well with growing things. HAHA!

www.yahres.wordpress.com