Sunday, May 17, 2009

As Promised

I was finally able to upload the photos from the last several days, but unfortunately my brother's computer does not have any photo editing software on it and the wifi connection here at the hospital wouldn't let me access picassa or download any editing software. So, these are the raw images, bad fluorescent lighting and all. I was just happy to be able to get them up on the web.

locked and loaded for the ride to Children's hospital

Chit chat with sister
playing computer games from bed

Yesterday's visit with my dad and brother

Today was a long day. Mae had her blood drawn again this morning, then the bone scan which showed that the infection had made it's way into the bones of her ankle and lower leg. The only difference in treatment will be that she will need the full 4 weeks of IV penicillin treatments. The scan showed no other areas of infection anywhere in her body, which is terrific news. The docs agree that this infection was just a fluke and don't believe that this puts her at risk for future infections, but she will be monitored closely over the next several months.
After the test, Mae was visited by 2 handsome little boys who helped her eat lunch. What a bunch of cuties!

After our friends left, Binny and Grandma N arrived. This was the first time we had seen Binny since Thursday and her first visit here at Children's. She had a great time being spoiled by with Grandma but she was happy to see Mom, Dad and Mae. Grandma visited for a while, then my in-laws showed up for a visit. They were also the transportation home for The Gardener and Binny. At about 6:00 after playing the Wii and hanging out in the playroom for a while we could tell that the girls were about spent. Binny started to fuss and complained of being hungry but refused to eat and Mae was also getting cranky. It was hard for me to see them leave but after the whole weekend away, it was time for Binny to go home and get back to her normal schedule. The Gardener is taking tomorrow and Tuesday off of work to be home with Binny so that she can go to school.
The word is that tomorrow Mae will have the Picc line placed so that means no food or drink after midnight tonight as they may need to sedate her. That might not be so fun as Mae didn't eat a single bite of dinner but instead is sleeping. She has been eating pretty well so missing one meal shouldn't be a big deal, but if the procedure isn't first thing in the morning I could have a cranky girl on my hands. After the picc line is placed, I will be shown how to care for it and give her the antibiotics. Thankfully I am not squeamish so dealing with the new Picc line shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I do have a few concerns. After all Mae is an active 6 year old. I don't know how long she'll need to be out of school or if she will go back at all before the end of the year. I'm nervous about how she'll feel about having semi-permanent tubes sticking out of her and how her friends will react to her if and when she does go back to school. This is all so new to us and I know that this is the only option right now, but change is scary. She will most likely be discharged on Tuesday, then she and I will go home to join Binny and The Gardener and hopefully I'll get my house clean and my garden planted this week before family comes to visit next weekend! I can't wait for life to return to normal, to get a good night's sleep, eat some home cooked meals and not have to worry about machine beeps, blood tests, and sick kids.

I am so grateful that this infection was caught before it spread to anywhere else in her body, but a little annoyed that it took 3 doctor visits to get some answers and correct treatment. Over the last several days I have heard some infection horror stories from the docs here which tells me that Mae is in good hands with experienced medical professionals. Children's Hospital is a great place!

Thanks again for all of the thoughts, prayers and help everyone has given us over the last few days!

One more thing. I still plan to post a Monday Gardening update tomorrow, although I haven't done much gardening in the last week. If anyone else wishes to participate, please do. I would love to see what's growing.


Riot Kitty said...

Hey! Great news that you will all be going home soon! May I send her a get well card? (I have little siblings and I know what an ordeal the hospital can be.) If you don't think that's weird, e-mail me:

Momma Bear said...

woo good to hear! I'm trying not to cry as i read your post. althought i'm glad things are well and they figured "it" out i as a fellow mom can't imagine what must have been going through your mind man! so good to see your babe in these pics. take care aliceson and i look forward to seeing your garden when you have the time. if i were near you id come over and do some chores and make you guys dinner.

Kelly said...

You don't give yourself enough credit as a photographer. Those pictures are all pretty good, untouched. The ooky florescent lighting is all part of the moment.

Glad you'll be home soon!

sheila said...

I'm not sure if the comment I left went through or not....ughhh! lol. Anyhooo....the gist was that this is SUCH a bizzare story and I'll keep you all in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.

So bizzare. So bizzare!

skyewriter said...

Glad to know things are returning to some semblance of normalcy.

It will do Mae a world of good to be home with her family and doggies.

Take care, all of you.