Saturday, May 16, 2009

No Cute Title Or Photos, Just An Update

Finally this morning Mae had her sinus CT scan to see if the sinuses were the source of her strep bacteria infection. We haven't heard any results yet and the bone scan that we came here for won't be until Monday because of the weekend and staffing issues. Oh yeah, that means we will be here until at least Monday, but no one here seems to care how long we need to be here, they keep saying she'll be here "as long as it takes". I guess I'll have to learn to accept that but still I wish we knew a little more and had a definitive treatment plan for her.

The parade of doctors were in here this morning examining and going over her history for what seems like the kagillionth time(as Mae would say). Her right knee and left elbow are responding well to the penicillin but the right ankle is still pretty red, swollen and ouchy (again Mae's word). If her Tylenol is given every four hours, the pain seems to be under control but if it goes much longer than that, the pain is pretty intense. She actually held her foot on the floor today while transitioning from the bed to wheelchair for her scan without too much trouble, but just a few minutes ago I helped her to bathroom and she refused to stand on it and even me carrying her filled her eyes with tears from the jostling.

We may have figured out (possibly) where the infection came from. Remember last week when Binny lost her tooth? Well, the following day, Mae came off the bus with her top tooth in her hand. Turns out one of her friends helped her pull it out, which means there were several dirty fingers next to an open wound. At this point it is just a possibility and we still plan to talk with the Infectious Disease doctor (hopefully today) about why she gets these infections so easily and how to prevent them in the future because let me tell you, I don't plan on making hospitalization and IV antibiotics an annual event.

Mae's appetite is still good, and she's keeping herself occupied with the TV and Mom and Dad's undivided attention. We both stayed here with her last night. The gardener slept in the pull-out sofa and I slept with Mae in the hospital bed. It felt good to be there for her if she needed me but neither of us really got a decent night's sleep. The monitors were beeping all night long and the nurses were in constantly to check vitals and give her meds. Binny is still taying with Grandma N and I'm sure she's having a great time, although I haven't heard from them yet today.
My dad and brother were here this morning for a visit and my bro dropped off his laptop (which I'm currently using) for me to use for the rest of her stay here. Awesome! I don't have my photo card reader along to upload photos but if I go home at all to change clothes, shower or whatever, I'll pick it up. Overall she's doing well considering she's stuck in bed.


The infectious disease doc was just in and determined that she may have had a touch of strep throat which got into her bloodstream through the open wound where she removed her tooth, then the bacteria settled into her joints and caused the infection. The bone scan has been scheduled for tomorrow morning so see if any of the bones are infected and also to see if any other joints have been infected as well. Before she goes home sometime early next week she will have a picc line inserted that will be used to draw blood and also the port where the antibiotics will be given. Finally we have some answers and are starting to appreciate being here at Children's.
Our friends and family have really pulled through for us in the last few days with offers to do everything from meals and child care for Binny to mowing our lawn and watching our dogs . (The last 2 were from our good friend who is 9 months pregnant! No we didn't ask her to mow our lawn, but they are watching our dogs. Hopefully we'll be home before she goes into labor so we can return the favor of dog sitting.) I also want to thank (again) everyone who has said a prayer for our family or even cared enough to check out my blog and facebook page for updates. We appreciate the concern and well wishes and I hope to be only giving good news for the rest of our stay here!


Riot Kitty said...

Hang in there! I hope for good news, too.

PS - The word verification is "sagga"!

AmyG said...

It sounds like they found what caused it. Now I hope she gets better quickly!

Out in Them Sticks said...

My goodness... it hard to believe strep throat could cause so much harm. I will continue to keep your family in our prayers.

Momma Bear said...


sheila said...

OMG, I miss like 3 days and I come here today poor thing! Your poor little girl! I will send some good thoughts your way and hope she recovers quickly!

I am ASTONISHED that she got this from pulling a tooth. Astonished. I mean, I'm not it can't be...I'm just shocked that that could happen. You know what I mean.

I can't believe your bozo doctors' fill in sent you home like that. Morons. My mom allllllways says...'now that's why they call it PRACTICING medicine...cuz they're just PRACTICING!'

lol. Although in your case it's not funny at all. Poor little one. She looks like a trooper though. I'll be rootin for you from here! Take care!

Bonnie Domrois said...

Keeping you guys in mind...

My cousin got scarlet fever from strep throat..but my idiot aunt let it go to long.

I hope Binny is okay too, being away from her sister is rough.

Open offer if you need ANYTHING!

Sidhe said...

You and mae are still at the top of our thoughts out here in MI. If we were in WI, we'd be there to mow the yard!!!

Shady Lady said...

It must be a relief to be getting some answers and be able to treat Mae. Hang in there, Aliceson!

Banteringblonde said...

I've been thinking of you - glad you are starting to get answers. Hang in there!

Kelly said...

You deserve a badge of honor for even trying to sleep in one of those hospital beds with Mae. I can't imagine how tired you must be.

Sending good thoughts. ;)

LL Cool Joe said...

Still thinking of you all and keeping you all in my prayers.