Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Screw It, I'll Make My Own

Today Binny and I went to Target to get some supplies for the house. We made our way through the store and past checkouts without too much trouble, other than Binny's minor avalanche of bar soaps in Aisle 7. I paid for my purchases and was immediately overcome by the smell of fresh coffee from the Starbucks directly across from the checkouts. It's almost unbearable for me to walk through Target on an empty stomach without coming out of the store with something very unhealthy hanging out of my mouth. I rummaged around in my messy purse, found the almost 5 dollars needed to buy my coffee while steering my cart to the back of the line. Then I saw her. The wife of one of my husband's co-workers. She's not a bad person, in fact she is a very nice person, but way too much for me. She's also a SAHM (stay at home mom) so we end up running into each other fairly often, usually at Target. Our children are about the same ages (she has 2 boys) so she thinks we must be friends. Our kids have never played with hers, the closest they came to being friends was last summer when her youngest and Binny (my youngest) had their tonsils removed on the same day. Her son's hospital room was right next door to Binny's so she popped in all day long to chat, and insisted I go get myself a cup of soup from the family lounge. "It's free, ya know."

So I did what any person who hates awkward and painful Target run-ins would do. I whipped that cart around so fast, I don't think she saw me. I saved 5 bucks, and didn't have to talk to that crazy woman. I came home and made myself a cup of instant coffee. Not a Starbucks Mocha but it did the trick.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I soooo totally do this!

My husband, on the other hand, waves and engages in conversation with every psycho acquaintance we run into.
That's when I pretend that Violet needs to use the potty.

skyewriter said...

I went to the grocery store with Tom about a month ago (he does the grocery shopping).

About five minutes after we walked through the automatic doors, he saw a couple that he knew and wanted to dodge them. We spent the next half an hour running up and down the aisles and peeking around corners.

People must have thought we were crazy.

They ended up in line two lanes over-- Tom hurried us out of the store. Mission accomplished. Couple avoided.

Shady Lady said...

LOL! I totally do this. Except the other day when I practically walked into the person I so would have avoided. I hate when that happens!

sheila said...

I do that all the time, lol. And look, not only did ya save $5, but look at all the calories you saved! Whooo Hoo!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I would have done the same thing too.

Ute said...

LOL... I thought you were going to write something about your family, who just wouldn't do something for you. This is much better. :)

rachel... said...

Usually I am so starved for adult interaction that I will engage anyone in conversation. It usually happens, though, on the day that I am rushed and have left the house with no make-up and without brushing my hair, then I dodge and duck, too.