So maybe I overreacted a little. Maybe it wasn't necessary to put all of the hair clips and brushes in the dishwasher to disinfect, but man are they clean. Maybe I should have just listened to my Mommy instinct that tells me "kids are tough, she'll be fine."
Mae still has the rash and by this morning it was considerably worse, but no signs of creepy crawlies. So then, what? After debating on whether or not to send her to school, I called the pediatrician's office and decided to have her looked at. Doc says definitely not lice, just a virus. I probably could have waited til tomorrow, but we're supposed to get walloped with snow again tonight, up to 12 inches, so I am trying to get things done so I don't have to leave the house tomorrow.
Thanks Amy G and Wild Child for your rational advice. Now excuse me while I finish sterilizing hairbrushes.