Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Heating Costs

I went down to the basement today to check to see how much fuel oil we had left in the tank. I knew it was getting low, but the arrow was pointing to EMTY (not sure what the weird spelling is about). From the note written in sharpie on the tank, we still have at least 10 gallons left, whatever that means. I have no idea how long 10 gallons would last, but I hate to take chances especially when we have tax refund money burning a hole in our pockets.

I called right away and the fuel man just dropped off 218 gallons of #2 heating oil for $1.89/gal. In December we filled the tank for $2.19/gal. and about a year ago it was $3.13/gal. At least for now heating our house isn't breaking the bank. Does that mean it's time to remove the "When Bush took office gas was $1.46" bumper sticker off of our old crappy truck?

6 comments:

Stacy Hackenberg said...

I took that piece of flair of my Facebook flair board so I guess you could take it off your car. But keep it around to remind yourself why we're glad he's gone.

Wild Child said...

Oh, that must feel sooooo much better. I agree with True Blue, keep it around to remind us why we're glad he's gone.

Sara said...

I am happy to have paid less this year too!

Unknown said...

In March last year we paid $3.69 for propane and it was $2.12 in December the difference for filling our propane tank $100. It is nice to fill my car up for under $40 too.

Shady Lady said...

Glad to hear your heating costs went down!

I love that I can fill my car for half of what it was not too long ago!

And yes, hang on to that bumper sticker lest we forget...

Anonymous said...

LOL! that's pretty funny. Keep it around. It's always good to remember our mistakes. lol